Thursday, October 7, 2010

She is just so dang smart!

That little Emily of mine...just a smartie! This is a total brag on my daughter post. I want to remember the remarkable things she says and does at this age.





So a few weeks ago I heard my little one sing Dr. Jean's "Days of the Week" song. I instantly began singing with her. She was excited that I knew it and I was thrilled that she knew it. It was one of those songs that I sang to my own kindergarten students just a few years ago. I am singing with her and we are looking at the calendar and she is pointing to the days of the week. I loved it. Then I asked her what day starts with the 'm" sound and she said Monday, what day begins with a 'w' and she said Wednesday, and what day has the 'th' sound and she said Thursday. By gosh my kid is a Mensa member. Man I sure hope I am not setting her bar too high. :)


So fast forward to today. I am in carpool and the teacher brings Emily to the car with this brown paper bag tied to her waist. I asked her teacher what is this and here is the conversation that commenced:


Me: Mrs. Mirla what is she wearing?

Mirla: Emily what are you?

Emily: A opossum

Mirla: What is this? (Points to bag)

Emily: A pouch

Mirla: What kind of animals have pouches?

Emily: Marsupials

Me floored and Mirla genuinely proud of Emily's recollection


WHAT!!!! My child is listening and learning about nocturnal animals this month.

So as I am strapping her into her carseat she tells me again, "Marsupials have pouches for their babies like opossums and kangaroos." Then she pulls out the cutest craft from her pouch. A baby opossum. A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E!





My girl amazes me with her vast vocabulary, knowledge, and skills. If I had to give her a kindergarten preassessment now, at 3, I am pretty sure she would pass it. She knows her name, can read it, and spell it. She knows her letters and their sounds, colors, numbers, and shapes including sphere. She knows her positional words, and has great pre reader skills. I really think if I took the time every night she would be reading in a year. We read for pleasure now but maybe I should consider teaching her how to read. She has great articulation so something for me to obsess about and consider.

I hate that she misses the cut off for kindergarten by three days! Hate it. I know she will be more than ready at five and hate to make her wait till six. What can ya do? Oh well. I am just grateful that she loves school, loves learning, and I pray that she will always feel that way. I am so happy that she has had such a great start at her preschool with the four teachers that she has had so far. She is indeed a blessed little girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment